Facts About Water
Surprising Facts About Water
Did You Know. . .
- According to nutritionists and healthcare professionals, we need to drink four or more glasses of water every day in order to stay healthy.
- Water is the only substance on Earth naturally found in three elemental forms: solid, liquid and gas.
- Nature does not create new water — it recycles the same water that existed on Earth billions of years ago.
- Each day the sun causes about one trillion tons of water to evaporate.
- Americans use about 26.1 billion gallons of water per day for household chores.
- On average, each person in the United States uses between 80 and 100 gallons of water per day. The largest use of household water is to flush the toilet and to take showers and baths.
- An ear of corn is 80 percent water.
- Nearly 70 percent of the human body is made up of water — the lungs alone are 90 percent water and the brain, 70 percent.
- On average, 50 to 70 percent of summer household water use is for watering lawns and gardens.
- Americans drink more than one billion glasses of tap water per day.
- Every year Americans consume 2.5 billion gallons of bottled water.
- Water facilitates weight loss and helps you stay healthy and regular, especially important when you are on a diet.
Water’s Life Cycle
Nature doesn’t create new water. It constantly recycles the same water that existed on the planet billions of years ago.
This recycling process, known as the hydrologic or water life cycle, works like a giant plumbing system to transport and renew our planet’s water within the closed system of the earth’s atmosphere.
Operating since the beginning of time, the hydrological cycle describes the movement of water as it passes through three phases: solid, liquid and gas.
How the Cycle Works
You’ll find the hydrological cycle hard at work high in our atmosphere as well as several kilometers below the earth’s surface. The cycle operates through a number of natural processes scientists call evaporation, transpiration and precipitation.
Evaporation describes the change from water as a liquid to water as a vapor. Water evaporated from ocean surfaces combines with water evaporated from freshwater sources such as rivers, lakes and streams to produce clouds.
The clouds, in turn, produce precipitation, 78 percent of which falls back into oceans while the remaining 22 percent falls back on land.
Transpiration, on the other hand, is the loss of water by plants. Transpiration rates depend upon temperature, humidity and wind speed conditions near the leaves of plants. And since plants draw water from the soil, transpiration rates can greatly affect soil moisture content. Soil water loss resulting from both transpiration and evaporation is called evapotranspiration.
Where Does Precipitation Go?
When precipitation reaches the ground, it follows two basic pathways: surface flow and infiltration. As water soaks into the subsurface through infiltration, it moves through the pores of the soil until the soil reaches saturation. Once infiltrated, water continues to filter through soil or rock through vertical movement called percolation. Percolation results in the movement of water from the soil layer to groundwater. Underground formations that contain groundwater are called aquifers.
Discover More Facts About Your Water!
How much do you know about the water at your home or business? Find out facts about your water supply with a complimentary water test from RainSoft of NE Iowa. Since 1953, we’ve worked with homeowners and business owners to take the worry out of water. Whether you’re looking for water softeners for hard water or need a water disinfectant system, we can help. Call us to schedule your free consultation at (319) 233-2038 or submit our contact form today!